Cookery is a rewarding career offering many exciting opportunities, both in Australia and internationally. This course will give you the necessary skills to become a qualified cook in a commercial kitchen. In this course, students will learn all about the organization, preparation and presentation of food. You are also trained in many different methods of cookery
SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
Cairns Vocational Course
- Course Duration
- Study Modes
- Course Content
- Course Entry Requirements
- Vocational Placement Requirements
- Intake Dates
- Career Opportunities
- Further Studies
- This course is delivered 40 tuition weeks + term breaks
- Classes are rostered for 3 days per week + Self-study component.
- Overseas students are required to be enrolled in a full-time course to undertake study for VET courses, a full-time course is a minimum of 20 scheduled course contact hours per week.
- VET courses are a “blended delivery” combining interactive/face-to-face classes, guided research, practical commercial cookery training in a commercial kitchen, class group activities, theory research tutorial, project work & research, and independent learning with academic support resources tutorial available.
- Academic support resources tutorial is available on the course scheduled days during school terms at CCEB.
- A maximum 4-hour practical commercial cookery training in a commercial kitchen will be arranged from week 2 of every term. Please refer to the course timetable. It is subject to change.
- One on one student support is available by appointment only.
The SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery comprises 25 units packaged as: 21 core units plus 4 elective units. Students must successfully complete the following units:
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|SITHCCC001||Use food preparation equipment|
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITHCCC007||Prepare stocks, sauces and soups|
|SITHCCC008||Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes|
|SITHCCC012||Prepare poultry dishes|
|SITHCCC013||Prepare seafood dishes|
|SITHCCC014||Prepare meat dishes|
|SITHCCC018||Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements|
|SITHCCC019||Produce cakes, pastries and breads|
|SITHCCC020||Work effectively as a cook|
|SITHKOP001||Clean kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITHKOP002||Plan and cost basic menus|
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices|
|SITXHRM001||Coach others in job skills|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|SITXWHS001||Participate in safe work practices|
|HLTAID003||Provide first aid|
|SITHCCC003||Prepare and present sandwiches|
|SITHCCC015||Produce and serve food for buffets|
Course Entry Requirements
- Successful completion of Australian Year 11 or equivalent
- Applicants are to be over the age of 18
- Applicants should have reasonable computer skills including the ability to use and access to the internet
- English Proficiency:
Completion of CCEB Intermediate level
B1 Level of CEFR – Common European Framework
In the 2 years before applying for the student visa, applicants completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while applicants held a student visa
Vocational Placement Requirements
Completing placement is compulsory for this course.
Students are required to complete 240 hours of vocational placement to satisfy this component of your qualification.
Tuition Fee: $9,500
Materials Fee: $600
Enrolment Fee: $300
Term payment plans available.
Please familiarise yourself with CCEB’s Refund and Cancellation Policy.
- 5 October
- 24 January
- 19 April
- 11 July
- 4 October
- Commercial Cook
- Banquet Cook
- Cafe Cook
- Bistro Cook
On completion of SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, students may pursue the Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery at CCEB or other CRICOS registered training organisations.
All information was accurate at time of publication, however CCEB policies, tuition fees and course content are subject to change without notice. Timetable information is subject to change prior to commencement and/or during the duration of your course.