This course is designed to help students prepare for either the General or Academic versions of the IELTS test. Lessons are aimed at improving students’ scores on all test components (reading, writing, listening, and speaking), while also introducing high-level grammatical concepts and expanding students’ vocabulary. Small class sizes allow our teachers to give you personalised feedback, and design lessons that target specific areas of weakness. Regular practice tests help you familiarise yourself with the test structure and track your progress throughout the course. Whether you are taking the IELTS test for work, study, or migration, we can help you achieve the score you need.
IELTS Exam Preparation Course
General and Academic
- Full time: 20 hours in-class /week + 5 hours /week self-study or activity
- Regular practice tests and tasks that allow students to become familiar with a variety of content and the exam structure
- Feedback and academic counselling that allows students to target specific areas and ways to improve them
- Improve your reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, and vocabulary
- Teachers use a variety of teaching methods to meet a range of learning styles and cultural backgrounds
- Progress monitoring
- Highly-qualified and experienced teachers
- Free after-school practice (reading, writing, listening, speaking and grammar)
- English only policy at CCEB
|9:00 – 10:30||– Strategies for true / false / not given task type [class discussion]- Task practice (true / false / not given) [worksheet]- Feedback and vocabulary review||– Review test (vocabulary)- Overview of Writing Task 2 [general + academic]- Essay structure [class discussion, small group task]||– Review test (linking words)- Strategies for map / diagram task [class discussion]- Task practice (map / diagram) [worksheet]
– Feedback and vocabulary review
|– Review test (vocabulary)- Strategies for Speaking Task 2 (individual long turn) [class discussion, small group activity]- Dealing with unfamiliar topics [class discussion, pair activity]||– Weekly test [grammar and vocabulary]- Vocabulary related to nature and the environment [class discussion, worksheets]|
|10:30 – 11:00||Break||Break||Break||Break||Break|
|11:00 – 12:30||– Time management strategies for long texts [general + academic samples]- “Skimming” for gist; “scanning” for specific information [class activity]- Timed task practice [general + academic samples]||– Overview of linking words (e.g. however, furthermore, whereas) [class discussion, worksheet]- Linking ideas in an essay [small groups, worksheets]||– Strategies for note completion task [class discussion]- Task practice (note completion) [worksheet]- Feedback and vocabulary review||– Improving accuracy in speaking: dependent prepositions [board work, worksheets]- Identifying errors and positive features (videos of real IELTS speaking tests) [small groups, then class discussion]||– Vocabulary related to nature and the environment [class discussion, worksheets]- Test practice: talking about the environment [speaking task 3]|
|12:30 – 13:30||Break||Break||Break||Break||Break|
|13:30 – 14:30||– Full reading practice test [general or academic]||– Full writing practice test [general or academic]||– Full IELTS listening test- Review and feedback||– Guided speaking practice||– Vocabulary review [communicative activity]|
|Homework||T,F,NG worksheet||Linking words worksheet||Review vocabulary||Review vocabulary||Essay writing task (environmental issues)|
Course Entry Requirements
- High Intermediate level
- Students are given a placement test on their first day. If your English is not at an appropriate level for this course, CCEB will place you in a class at your level. You will only be able to enter this course once your English is at the appropriate level.
If any start dates fall on a QLD or National public holiday, course will commence on the next business day (see CCEB calendar).
All information was accurate at time of publication, however CCEB policies, tuition fees and course content are subject to change without notice. Timetable information is subject to change prior to commencement and/or during the duration of your course.